Creamy Dill Potato Salad
McKenzie Farms in Fairhope, AL
June 9, 2021
- 3 pounds small Sweet Grown Alabama red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped dill fresh dill divided
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and boil them for 20 to 30 minutes, or until they easily slide off the tines of a fork and the skinsbegin to break away from the white potato if cut. (Be sure to cook your red potatoes until they are easily pierced with a fork and the skin begins to pull away from the potato. This will ensure the potatoes are soft enough to smash, adding to the creaminess of the salad.)
- Drain the potatoes, then cut into quarters and place in a large bowl.
- Use a large whisk, fork, or potato masher to gently smash the potatoes into irregular chunks, but not too fine.
- Drizzle the warm potatoes with the vinegar.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the sour cream or Greek yogurt in a small bowl with the garlic salt, freshly ground black pepper and half of the fresh chopped dill.
- Add the sauce to the potato mixture with the chopped onions and the remaining dill and stir gently to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or overnight.