The Nutritional Power of Pecan Butter
Alabama Pecan Company
by Elizabeth Shanks
September 20, 2023
Pecan butter is an exquisite and nutrient-dense spread that often doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. Pecan butter offers a unique flavor and an impressive array of health benefits. I want to dive into pecan butter and its nutritional information, helping you understand why it’s a fantastic addition to your diet.
Pecan butter is made by grinding roasted pecans until they reach a smooth, creamy consistency. Its rich, nutty flavor makes it a versatile ingredient in both sweet and savory dishes. Now, let’s delve into the nutritional aspects of pecan butter.
Nutritional Information (per 2-tablespoon serving):
1. Calories: Pecan butter is energy-dense, providing approximately 196 calories per serving. This makes it an excellent choice for those looking to boost their calorie intake healthily.
2. Healthy Fats: Pecans are renowned for their healthy fat content. Pecan butter is primarily composed of monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to improved heart health. A serving contains around 20 grams of fat, with only 1.8 grams of saturated fat.
3. Protein: Pecan butter contains about 3 grams of protein per serving, making it a decent source of plant-based protein.
4. Fiber: Pecan butter offers approximately 2.5 grams of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and can help you feel full for longer.
5. Vitamins and Minerals: Pecan butter is a good source of various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, magnesium and zinc. These nutrients play important roles in immune support, skin health and more.
6. Antioxidants: Pecans are rich in antioxidants, particularly ellagic acid, which may help protect cells from oxidative damage.
Health Benefits of Pecan Butter:
1. Heart Health: The monounsaturated fats in pecan butter are heart-healthy and can contribute to reduced cholesterol levels.
2. Weight Management: Despite its calorie content, consuming pecan butter in moderation can help with weight management due to its satiating effect.
3. Improved Nutrient Intake: Pecan butter is a convenient way to incorporate essential nutrients like vitamin E and magnesium into your diet.
4. Antioxidant Protection: The antioxidants in pecan butter may help combat free radicals in the body, potentially reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
5. Bone Health: Pecans are a source of magnesium, which is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
Ways to Enjoy Pecan Butter:
• Spread it on whole-grain toast or rice cakes.
• Add it to smoothies for a creamy texture and nutty flavor.
• Use it as a dip for apple or banana slices.
• Incorporate it into your baking recipes as a healthier alternative to butter.
• Drizzle it over oatmeal or yogurt for added richness
Pecan butter is not only a delicious and versatile nut butter but also a nutritional powerhouse. Its impressive combination of healthy fats, protein, vitamins and minerals make it a valuable addition to a balanced diet. So, the next time you’re shopping for nut butter, don’t forget to give pecan butter a try – your taste buds and your health will thank you!
Give this recipe a try, it’s perfect for all those fall and holiday get together.
Honey Pecan Truffles
Time: 1 hour
Servings: 30 truffles
- 1/2 stick Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Sweet Grown Alabama Honey Pecan Butter
- 1.5 cups Confectioners' Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 oz. Milk Chocolate Wafers
- 2 oz. Dark Chocolate Wafers
1. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat butter using paddle attachment until light and fluffy, approx. 2 minutes.
2. Add honey pecan butter to butter and mix well.
3. Next add in confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
4. Once sugar is fully incorporated, add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
5. On a parchment lined baking sheet, using a teaspoon, form individual balls and set them on baking sheet, place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
6. While the pecan butter mixture is chilling, melt your chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals, stir after each interval until melted and shiny in appearance.
7. Pull the pecan balls from the fridge and using a fork, roll each of them in chocolate and place back on the baking sheet.
8. Top with sprinkles or pecans and let sit until chocolate hardens.
9. Devour all of them or share them, whichever you prefer!