Till, Birmingham's Online Farmers Market
March 30, 2021
- 1/2 cup diced Sweet Grown Alabama onion
- 8oz sliced Sweet Grown Alabama okra
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil to fill your skillet 1" in height
- Prep by dicing the onion and okra.
- Mix diced okra and onion in a large bowl with water, egg, and salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal and baking powder.
- Combine both mixtures in the large bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium sized skillet.
- Check the temperature of your oil by throwing a pinch of flour into the pan and seeing if the flour seizes up. Once ready, drop the okra batter into balls into the oil.
- Flatten the balls with your spatula to make a patty.
- Fry on each side for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oil. Salt while hot.
- Let cool on a rack for excess oil to drip.