by Till's Online Farmers Market
March 30, 2021
- 1/2 cup diced Alabama onion
- 8oz sliced Alabama okra
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- vegetable oil to fill your skillet 1" in height
- Prep by dicing the onion and okra.
- Mix diced okra and onion in a large bowl with water, egg, and salt & pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal and baking powder.
- Combine both mixtures in the large bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium sized skillet.
- Check the temperature of your oil by throwing a pinch of flour into the pan and seeing if the flour seizes up. Once ready, drop the okra batter into balls into the oil. Flatten the balls with your spatula to make a patty.
- Fry on each side for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oil. Salt while hot.
- Let cool on a rack for excess oil to drip.
- Hope you enjoy!