Sausage Gravy with Tomatoes
Rock House Farms, Fruithurst, Alabama
by Karah Skinner
March 1, 2021
- 1 lb. Rock House Farms breakfast sausage
1 fresh tomato, diced
2 - 4 tablespoons flour
3+ cups of milk
- Start by browning breakfast sausage in a cast iron skillet on medium/high heat until cooked.
- Once browned, sprinkle flour atop sausage to soak up the fat. Use about the same amount of flour as fat. If your sausage is very lean, you can add a little butter or oil to melt and add additional fat.
- Once you add in flour, allow it to cook while you stir the sausage around for a minute or two to let the flour taste cook out.
- Turn down your heat to medium/low.
- Once the flour has been cooked out, add in two cups of milk. Pour it all in at once and stir well with a whisk.
- Stir until the mixture gets nice and thick. Add in a little bit of milk at a time until the gravy reaches desired consistency. This could be up to four cups of milk depending on the amount of fat/flour mixture.
- Add chopped tomato and salt and pepper to taste. Continue stirring while the tomato cooks into the gravy and everything comes together.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately over biscuits. If you have to wait a while before serving, just reheat with a little milk to thin if needed.